Acronyms and Abbreviations
A couple of days ago a TSA Status submitter wrote:
I was trying to write an update on your site … but all i see are all these abbreviations and i don't know what the hell they mean.
Would be nice if you had a list of terms somewhere in your page as reference!
He could have just as well written WTF! Obviously, there are a bunch of abbreviations site commenters use, and while our frequent visitors may not see them as out of place, a TSA status newbie might. So, today, we'll lower the barriers to entry, with this new list of acronyms you may see on this site.
Hopefully this will make things a bit more comprehensible! Keep the updates (and the good times) rolling.
- AIT: Advanced Imaging Technology (same as NoS)
- CP: Checkpoint (also C/P)
- BSX: Backscatter, same as X-ray
- BKSX: Backscatter, same as X-ray
- MMW: Millimeter wave (clear phone booth)
- NoS: Nude-o-Scope (MMW or x-ray)
- SDOO: self-directed opt-out (you choose a WTMD over a NoS)
- TSO: TSA officer (a reader points out they are not actually officers)
- X-ray: Rapiscan (two blue rectangles). N.B. that this does not refer to the bag x-ray machines.
- WTMD: Walk through metal detector
|No scanners||Scanners not in use||Scanners: choose your own line||Scanners, random use for some||In use for most/all|
|SEARCH for a status
Enter a three-digit IATA code (e.g. LAX, ORD, JFK)
or look up a code or list all US airports)
Or, click on a major airport here to search for it:
Or view all statuses submitted to TSA Status.
||SUBMIT a status